Amazon FBA Lost Inventory? Here’s How You Can Get Your Money Back
Amazon operates on an enormous scale – usually with great efficiency. This means that FBA sellers can generally expect their inventory to be managed properly. Unfortunately, Amazon does still make mistakes.
One of the most common errors occurs when Amazon loses or damages your inventory. This annoying situation will leave you wondering how to recoup your losses. Rather than accepting the hit to your bottom line, you should file for reimbursement from Amazon.
If you’ve never claimed an FBA refund before, do not be intimidated by the process. Many sellers are in the same boat as you, and devoted FBA refund solutions such as those offered by GETIDA can support you on your journey.
First, let’s learn how FBA refunds work.
What exactly is an FBA refund?
When Amazon creates a discrepancy by losing or damaging your stock, you are potentially entitled to an FBA refund.
When you become an FBA seller, you trust Amazon to store and ship your inventory with care. Most of the time, Amazon does this well, using formidable logistics systems to ensure the safety of your stock. For you as an FBA seller, this can be a great way to outsource many aspects of your business and grow along with Amazon.
Despite its impressive efficiency, Amazon does still make errors when it comes to managing your inventory. Amazon catches these mistakes some of the time, but when it doesn’t you could lose hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
This is why it is so important for FBA sellers to be vigilant and regularly audit their records. By doing this, you can avoid missing opportunities for an FBA refund. It is worth noting that Amazon only permits claims within limited time frames, and if you miss this deadline, your money will be gone for good.
What types of FBA refunds are available?
Amazon has an FBA inventory reimbursement policy that outlines a range of permitted claims. Your claims process will vary depending on the inventory’s processing stage when it went missing (or became damaged).
Here are the different types of Amazon FBA lost inventory claims:
- Shipment to warehouse claims: In order to claim for inventory that was lost on its way to the Amazon fulfillment center, you will need to provide tracking information, proof of ownership, and shipment ID. You may file such a claim no later than nine months after the confirmed date of shipment delivery to the fulfillment center.
- Returns claim: If a customer was refunded for one of your products, but the product was never returned or returned in a damaged state, you might be eligible for an FBA refund. To qualify for this type of reimbursement, Amazon must have refunded the customer or replaced the items. This type of claim can be made for 18 months after the customer’s return.
- Removal claims: In the event that your inventory is damaged or lost by Amazon or one of its carriers while removing your products from the warehouse, an FBA refund may be possible. Such claims should be filed within 18 months of the date that the products were removed from the fulfillment center.
- Operations claims: For any losses or damage that occurs in the Amazon fulfillment center, you are potentially eligible for an FBA refund. Be aware that this type of claim must be made within 18 months of the date that the product was reported damaged or lost.
What makes a seller eligible for an FBA refund?
Amazon has criteria that must be followed by sellers filing for an FBA refund. Before making your claim, consider the following:
- Does the product comply with FBA inventory requirements as well as FBA product requirements and restrictions?
- Was the product registered in the FBA program when the loss or damage occurred?
- Does the shipment have deleted or canceled status?
- Did you send Amazon the exact items and quantities outlined in your shipping plan?
- Was the item defective or damaged by a customer?
- Does your account currently have normal status?
- Has the item been disposed of at your request, or because Amazon exercised the right to dispose of it?
Ready to file your FBA refund claim?
Now that you know a little more about how FBA refunds work, you are probably itching to start getting some of your money reimbursed.
Depending on your needs and the size of your business, you can choose one of the following options:
- File your own claims: You may wish to complete the FBA refund process yourself, especially if you are new to FBA selling. Keep in mind that the time you will take to audit your account for discrepancies will take your attention away from other aspects of your business. Consider whether you can afford to spend hours looking over data and exchanging messages with seller support. Are there other areas of your enterprise that require your personal attention more?
- Hire a virtual assistant: Delegation brings to mind virtual assistants or VAs. The quality of the VA is everything for sellers who choose this route. Remember, their level of experience could mean the difference between you getting your refund, and not getting it. In addition to this, your VA must be someone you trust since they will have access to your account details.
- Outsource to a data analyst: Another delegation option is to seek the help of a service that will analyze your account, and provide you with the resulting data. From that point on, you will need to pursue the FBA refund yourself, and this may include repeated messages with seller support.
- Enlist a devoted FBA refund service: Finally, you could seek the help of a company that specializes in obtaining FBA refunds for Amazon sellers. An industry leader in this field is GETIDA where your entire FBA refund process is managed from start to finish. With GETIDA’s FBA refund solution, you can relax as your account is fully audited and GETIDA takes care of all necessary communication with seller support. The next thing you know, you’ll be receiving your refund.
Is GETIDA right for you?
Those who opt to use GETIDA’s services will benefit from state-of-the-art software and the support of a knowledgeable team of case managers. As an authorized Amazon Services Provider, GETIDA is held to a rigorous standard and vetted by Amazon. There are no upfront fees or monthly subscriptions with GETIDA, but instead a performance fee of 25%. This means GETIDA only gets paid when they secure your refund.
For a free estimate of your potential FBA refund, simply head to GETIDA’s homepage and click “Free Signup.” After a 5-10 minute signup process, GETIDA will be ready to audit your account. Once you see how much money you could be getting, you can decide if you want to move forward with the recovery process.
Get your FBA refund now
With your new understanding of FBA refunds, you are now ready to head out and start getting your money back. Lost products need not lead to losses for your businesses. With a little help from GETIDA, the FBA refund process couldn’t be simpler. So, what are you waiting for? Start getting your FBA refund today!